Friday, November 7, 2008

Upcoming Event: An Evening with Don Hertzfeldt at 19th Street Theatre


The darkly funny animator Don Hertzfeldt will be at 19th Street Theatre on Thursday, Nov. 13 for a special screening of his bizarre and hilarious short films and Q&A session with the audience.

Hertzfeldt is known for his very traditional-yet-simply drawn pencil-on-paper animations that, while seeming innocent and cute at first, take you on a short trip down the path of the weird and disturbing. One such short film is "Billy's Balloon," a story about a little boy whose happy red balloon turns on him. It's hilarious for teens and adults, but probably a bit terrifying for children to imagine their balloon whacking them over the head or carrying them high above the city.

You can check out "Billy's Balloon" on YouTube.

Hertzfeldt and his films are currently touring cities across America, like NY, Chicago, LA, and.....Allentown, Pennsylvania? Actually, Allentown is his only stop in PA, so be sure to check out this special event.

Tickets are $8 in advance, $10 at the door. Members pay $7.

www.civictheatre.com

3 comments:

Katie Bee said...

Don Hertzfeldt is AMAZING. Have you seen "Rejected Cartoons"? They are funny and disturbing, as you said. I like his contrast with ultra-traditional style and messed-up sense of humor.

Funny that he would choose Allentown over Philly, I wonder why that is. I'm not exactly sold on the fact that Allentown as a well known center for the arts yet. Maybe you could ask someone for me?

Man, I wish I could attend this!

Angie Villa said...

Sorry to go off topic, but I was wondering if any of you here at FP went to the premiere of local filmmaker Zeke Zelker's film at Symphony Hall last weekend?
I was hoping for a review! I did not go to the premiere.

Pancho said...

Katie Bee-
Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the tour list.
San Fran!
Seattle!
LA!
Chicago!
NY!
Allentown?
Anyway, maybe I can ask him why he decided to come here whe I SEE HIM IN PERSON!!!

Mrs Dottie-
None of the film projectionists made it to the Zelker premier. I know, we really should of been there, but alas, Halloween weekend led to many a party. There is currently a review in ICON magazine. I guess it's a pretty racy flick.